[bongo-devel] Bongo wishlist #10: display track length
Romain Francoise
2006-11-28 20:46:26 UTC
It would be nice if Bongo displayed the length of each track in the
playlist buffer (not in the library buffer) next to the file name.
The only way to have this information right now is to start playing the
track, but sometimes I'd like to know in advance...

To fetch the info, Bongo could use `ogginfo' for Ogg files, and
`mpginfo' (from the mpgtx package) for MP3 files.

Note that we might not want to do this by default since analyzing the
files might slow things down a bit.
--
Romain Francoise <***@orebokech.com> | The sea! the sea! the open
it's a miracle -- http://orebokech.com/ | sea! The blue, the fresh, the
Daniel Brockman
2006-12-02 16:33:28 UTC
Hi Romain,
Post by Romain Francoise
It would be nice if Bongo displayed the length of each track in the
playlist buffer (not in the library buffer) next to the file name.
Interesting idea. The information could be fetched on
demand as tracks are enqueued and cached in the library.

I have installed a partial implementation. The only tracks
that actually get length information are audio CD tracks,
but the foundation and display code is there now.
Post by Romain Francoise
The only way to have this information right now is to start playing
the track, but sometimes I'd like to know in advance...
Yes, it would be a useful feature.
Post by Romain Francoise
To fetch the info, Bongo could use `ogginfo' for Ogg files,
and `mpginfo' (from the mpgtx package) for MP3 files.
Isn't there any tool that can do all types?
Post by Romain Francoise
Note that we might not want to do this by default since
analyzing the files might slow things down a bit.
Yeah. I guess we can decide if the extra overhead is
acceptable by default once it's implemented.
Daniel Brockman <***@brockman.se>
Romain Francoise
2006-12-02 18:15:01 UTC
Post by Daniel Brockman
I have installed a partial implementation. The only tracks
that actually get length information are audio CD tracks,
but the foundation and display code is there now.
Great!
Post by Daniel Brockman
Post by Romain Francoise
To fetch the info, Bongo could use `ogginfo' for Ogg files,
and `mpginfo' (from the mpgtx package) for MP3 files.
Isn't there any tool that can do all types?
I'm not aware of any, but writing one would be easy enough.
Daniel Brockman
2007-04-26 02:34:10 UTC
Post by Romain Francoise
It would be nice if Bongo displayed the length of each
track in the playlist buffer (not in the library buffer)
next to the file name. The only way to have this
information right now is to start playing the track,
I just installed changes that cause this information to be
displayed when available (i.e., for already played tracks).

(It used to be displayed only for CD tracks.)
Post by Romain Francoise
but sometimes I'd like to know in advance...
To fetch the info, Bongo could use `ogginfo' for Ogg files,
and `mpginfo' (from the mpgtx package) for MP3 files.
Note that we might not want to do this by default since
analyzing the files might slow things down a bit.
(Bongo still does not fetch the information in advance.)
--
Daniel Brockman <***@brockman.se>